Sunday 8 November 2009

Did someone say ... MURDER?!

Probably the corniest thing I could ever indulge myself in, but was highly entertaining and not what I expected at all..

Last night, I was at a Murder Mystery! So for one night I was no longer me, but Lady Elizabeth Griffon, Lady of the Manor and wife to prestigeous land owner and honored quest to Sir Thomas Hall, Sir Christopher Griffon (played by Ross, my other half.)

We saw it on the bulletin notice board before, and I believe this would class as an event :P so we went, and bought my mum along too.
I dont really think I knew just WHAT to expect, but I know I didnt expect to have to act, hah.
It was set in a building which back in the days of its prime, Kings Norton Parish, which is where Queen Victoria stayed for a short while.
Have to say, the building was stunning, but for one of the old buildings which was built with a home-made charm about it, it was almost slanted to one side, corridors would suddenly get smaller or lower or the floor would suddenly incline.
Which made walking about in it feel like you have just taken a swig of Alice's 'Drink Me' potion..
There were so many spirits there though, my mother who is also receptive saw a male standing behind me trying to get contact.
I saw about six in total, wandering about the main room, and standing as if to await orders, I get the feeling these are the servants of times past.
but yeah :P
The actors played a really great show, and you could tell they were scared that people wouldnt play along. A couple decided they didnt like it and left, which was a shame because they paid £15 each for it, too shy to act their parts.

The story was interesting though, the Servant was found dead in her room by bullet wound and also there were two cups, one with a poison that deals in abotions, and another which was deadly. It turned out that a man who was given the part of the Magistrate, had an affair with the maid and got her pregnant, so he gave her the abotion poison, and his wife found out and gave her the deadly poison. The bullet wound was done by a man who carries a german pistol, because she was blackmailing him over importations of arms or something like that :P

However, after everything I had a really GREAT chat with the cast, Matthew Ward (he is the founder and main actor)who is a historian and does this all over birmingham including upcoming Aston Hall by Candlelight, after conversations about my interest in this area and costume, has asked me to email him so that I can get involved, and has asked for my help on making some period-costumes!
So I'm dead happy with that, he seemed really keen on having me on board and I'd be grateful for the experience, and to get to work with a great team.

The servant, George, is also a costume-maker, and gave me -her- email too, and also we met another actor who does prosthetics which is what I've just started doing. We learnt that he was actually a zombie in Shaun of the Dead .. so I just had to shake his hand for that.

:D Better evening than I thought it'd be!

No comments:

Post a Comment