Friday 2 April 2010

Fashion Against Fur

So for this competition, we had to create a poster for the PETA, campaigning (is that even spelt right?) against the use of animals for fashion. This particular campaign was against the use of Rabbits.

Since it was a real short brief, it was interesting to work with and essentially a very easy one, but with a subject like this it really inspires you to do something creative because of it's cause. Of course that depends on your opinion of the use of animals for fur, as some people are indifferent to it and others are just really against it.

My opinion... is that I am against it, but in the way that if the animal is killed for consumption of meat for survival, then yes, it is fine to use its fur as a bi-product. If these animals are killed for SIMPLY just their fur whilst still ALIVE and then their body is wasted, then no, its not alright. To be honest before I started this project and the discussion last year, I never really gave a second thought to the Fur-Trade and how fur is actually obtained when I saw or thought of a real fur product, seems it was just never something that had crossed my mind. And I can safely say its the same story for a lot of people. But now I have looked into it, its rather disgusting and a eye-opener to what really goes on around us without us noticing; and I enjoyed this brief to try to bring to attention the real side of the Fur-Trade and that your lovely fur coat sitting away in your closet did not just materialise out of thin air.

I managed to do my campaign poster in one day, which I was pleased about, I decided to use my current FMP project as inspiration for this, which being Alice in Wonderland/Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Underground as most people know hosts a famous Rabbit character, the White Rabbit. AIW is a childhood story that most people love and cherish as a fond memory and a classic novel from over 130 years. As my project looks into the true horror and darkness of AIW, parodying the recent trash that is Tim Burton's AIW Production .. I took the 'darkness' and 'reality' of this fairytale and applied it to this brief.
I decided to make this rabbit look like one of many childhood favourite and popular characters, The White Rabbit, to bring to light that the Fur Trade is NOT a fairytale, and yes, your fur coat did not just 'come to be.'. I thought that if I can apply something so dark as the fur-trade to something people can remember, and relate to that they may actually stop and think.
I also applied (yeah I thought about this a lot.) the fact that Alice in Wonderland is surrealism, which means that it hosts familiar everyday things in a sick and twisted reality. So the Rabbit, being real, used with other everyday objects such as a jacket, a pocketwatch, and playing cards (also link to AIW) would give the message that 'This is NOT a fairytale. THIS IS REAL.' If this poster was done in art, it would not work as well - it had to resemble real items, real things that people know and relate to.

sorry for length, i'm almost done :P

So yeah, if you tl;dr (too long, didnt read for those people who arent as much of a Net-Geek) Here's my poster.



Though I'm not sure if I need to edit it so the text is outside the image and leave the image clear of text? Adam thinks I dont need half the text, and just 'WAKE UP' because the image says it all, but I am not sure, and whether I need a fact on it or not. Comments appreciated :)

I got a lot of interesting shots from this shoot, I will post those soon.

All in all, really insiteful brief - Something a lot of classes could benefit from.

No comments:

Post a Comment